Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Summer Daze

Last weekend, temperatures topped 100 degrees. To beat the heat, I enjoyed a tall glass of iced tea.

Specifically, guava green tea with pearls from Fantasia.

Although there are three Fantasia shops nearby (in Santa Clara, Milpitas and Cupertino), I don't always find time to go.

So to satisfy a sudden craving, I make my own.

I experimented to recreate the original. The following recipe comes close.

Makes 2.

Ingredients:

½ cup tapioca pearls (I buy the WuFuYuan brand at my local Chinese market)
1 cup water
guava juice (I use Kern's Nectar)
1 green tea bag
ice

Boil the pearls according to the instructions on the back of the package. Pour boiled pearls in a bowl and cool to room temperature (You can place the bowl in the refrigerator for a few minutes to help the cooling process along).

While the pearls are cooling, steep the tea bag in 1 cup of water.

Add ice to two tall glasses. Add half the pearls to each glass. Fill glasses half full with guava juice. Top each with ½ cup of tea.

Add extra-large straw (available at your local Chinese market), stir and enjoy a refreshing, light drink for a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment